Temporary and Long Term Housing

Please Note: All resource information has been confirmed by Butte-Glenn 2-1-1 Staff. However, resource information is subject to change based on the availability, capacity, and discretion of the resource provider. Please consider checking in with providers ahead of time to ensure availability of services

****The County is working on establishing solutions for mid-range and longer term housing for people displaced by the fire. A Housing Task Force is working with the Town of Paradise, City of Chico, City of Oroville, and the State of CA on housing solutions****

For additional housing information and options, visit: https://buttecountyrecovers.org/housing-resources/

Habitat for Humanity Yuba/Sutter- Home Ownership ProgramOffering applications for Sweat Equity exchange program. Applicant(s) may be approved for newly remodeled 2 bedroom homes in Marysville, California at the cost of Sweat Equity and building their new home. Homes are sold in exchange for 500 hours of Sweat Equity and the cost of building the home. The monthly payment on the home will not be more than 29% of the family’s total income at closing (which includes mortgage, taxes, insurance and utilities). All applicant(s) must be United States citizens or legal permanent residents. All applicant(s) prior to approval, who will be living in the home, must be 18 years of age and older, must agree to a Drug Test, Credit Check, Background Screening and Sex Offender Registry Verification. Applicant(s) must currently be living in inadequate housing; including unsafe and unsanitary (other than self-imposed). Applicant(s) must also make between 30% and 80% of area median income. Please see the chart below:

Family Size12345678
Minimum  Income$12,600$16,460$20,780$25,100$29,420$33,740$37,200$39,600
Maximum  Income$33,600$38,400$43,200$48,000$51,850$55,700$59,550$63,400

If approved, applicant(s) will assume two loans; both a payable loan at no interest and a forgivable loan with conditions. Approved families typically pay a monthly mortgage payment equal to less than 30% of their median income (typically less than the cost of a 1-bedroom apartment). If approved, applicant(s) must also fully participate in the application process, attend any home ownership preparation classes, work with the sponsoring organization, participate in publicity, complete 500 hours of Sweat Equity, and exhibit a willingness and ability to partner. Before completing the Home Ownership application, please refer to eligibility or use the following link:http://bit.ly/38Ivsdi to see prequalifications. To access the Home Ownership Application, please use the following link: http://bit.ly/39NfNuM or drop in at Habitat for Humanity Yuba/Sutter, located at: 202 D Street, Marysville 95901 to receive/drop-off an application. For more information please contact Patti Archuleta: 530-742-2727 ext. 213  Please Note: Habitat for Humanity Yuba/Sutter is a non-profit that relies on donations. The process of home ownership may take more than a year to complete from the date of approval.

Butte Countywide Homeless Continuum of Care- Coordinated Entry-Offers unsheltered citizens enrollment and assessment by phone or in-person that will potentially qualify individuals and families to be placed on the countywide housing list for housing programs. This may include HUD-funded housing programs. Coordinated Entry (CE) is a county-wide system, accessed by agencies providing housing programs and managed by the Butte Countywide Homeless Continuum of Care. Entry onto the CE list does not guarantee housing placement.  To enroll and complete an assessment (VI-SPDAT) for entry into the Coordinated Entry housing list database, call 2-1-1 from within Butte County. Residents of Butte County that are calling from outside the County can dial 1-866-916-3566 to reach Butte 2-1-1.

Love Paradise, Paradise Seventh Day Adventist Church, & Maranatha– Camp Fire Shed ProjectOffering an intake form for those interested in newly-constructed sheds for Camp Fire-impacted households rebuilding in the Camp Fire Burn scar.  Eligibility Requirements are as follows: 

  • Participants must have owned a home on November 8th, 2018. 
  • Must have lost home or had significant damage to home due to the Camp Fire. 
  • Must currently live within the burn scar. 
  • Must be able to provide proof of property ownership and/or temporary use permits.  
  • Must currently live in an RV/Trailer/Tent 
  • Must intend to rebuild within the burn scar
  • Must have proof that insurance did not cover shed replacement. 

To access the Camp Fire Shed Project Interest Form, please use the following link: www.loveparadise.net/camp-fire-shed-project Please Note: Completing this interest application does not guarantee participants will receive a shed. Based on the answers provided individuals will be placed in a lottery system. Please fill out the application ONCE. Duplicate applications will only hinder the speed at which they will be processed. Renters will be considered as long as the owner’s permission for a shed on the property is confirmed. Shed recipients will sign a form that no utilities will be allowed in the shed and no one will inhabit the shed. Those currently in the rebuilding phase will be considered as long as insurance has not covered a shed. Individuals unable to upload documentation (proof of property ownership and/or temporary use permits), may bring copies to the Paradise Adventist Church office located at 2500 Floral Avenue, Suite 30 in Chico. Individuals may also bring documentation to Shedquarters at the Paradise Adventist Church located at 5720 Academy Drive, Paradise. If there is any misrepresentation on a submitted application, the application could be denied.

FEMA Housing- Information Update- FOR HOUSING SITUATION CHANGE- Survivors who applied for FEMA and communicated upon their initial intake that they had secured housing with friends, family, or through a temporary situation (including RV and trailer units) may not have been considered eligible for FEMA direct housing assistance. If survivors are in need of housing, and need to update their information about their housing situation with FEMA, they can call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 and update their current housing status and needs. 

USDA- Single-Family Housing Rural Home LoansThis program (also known as the Section 502 Direct Loan Program) assists low and very-low-income applicants obtain decent, safe and sanitary housing in eligible rural areas by providing payment assistance to increase an applicant’s repayment ability. Payment assistance is a type of subsidy that reduces the mortgage payment for a short time. The amount of assistance is determined by the adjusted family income. Applications for this program are accepted through your local RD office year round. The maximum load amount an applicant may qualify for will depend on the applicant’s repayment ability. The applicant’s ability to repay a loan considers various factors such as income, debts, assets and the amount of payment assistance applicants may be eligible to receive. Regardless of repayment ability, applicants may never borrow more than the area’s loan limit (plus certain costs allowed to be financed) for the county in which the property is located.  To be considered, at a minimum, applicants interested in obtaining a direct loan must have an adjusted income that is at or below the applicable low-income limit for the area where they wish to buy a house and they must demonstrate a willingness and ability to repay debt.  Applicants must also: 

  • Be without decent, safe and sanitary housing
  • Be unable to obtain a loan from other resources on terms and conditions that can reasonably be expected to meet
  • Agree to occupy the property as your primary residence
  • Have the legal capacity to incur a loan obligation
  • Meet citizenship or eligible noncitizen requirements
  • Not be suspended or debarred from participation in federal programs

Properties with direct loan funds must:

  • Be modest in size for the area
  • Not have market value in excess of the applicable area loan limit
  • Not have in-ground swimming pools
  • Not be designed for income producing activities

Borrowers are required to repay all or a portion of the payment subsidy received over the life of the loan when the title to the property transfers or the borrower is no longer living in the dwelling. Applicants must meet income eligibility for a direct loan. Please contact your local RD office to ask for additional detail about eligibility requirements.

FAMILY/HOUSEHOLD SIZE1-4 Household Members5-8 Household Members
ANNUAL INCOME$53,200$70,200

For more information on the program, please visit: http://bit.ly/344f2Li To access the Rural Home Loans application use the following link (click forms and resources tab): http://bit.ly/2zsIhJP or contact Nicole Roldan at 530-693-3162 or nicole.roldan@usda.gov  For general program questions contact 530-534-0112

HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) – Resource LocatorProvides information and location tools for HUD resources including a national map of affordable housing opportunities through HUD, a HUD Office locator, and a housing locator for Elderly and Special Needs specific housing. To access any of these resources visit: https://resources.hud.gov/

Housing Authority of Butte County – Section 8 Waitlist CheckThe application period has concluded, applicants for either the Camp Fire waiting list or the general Section 8 waitlist can check their current position on the waitlist at the following link: http://bit.ly/2GTQhrs

Community Housing Improvement ProgramSelf Help Housing Program- Stonefox Development Phases Two and Three- Under CHIP’s self-help program, families build their homes in groups of five to nine under the supervision of CHIP construction staff. Projects typically take about a year, and all homes must be finished before families move in. The available lots of Stonefox Phases two and three are located off Solano and Stonefox Streets on Clear Creek Street in Corning. House plans include 3, 4, and 5 bedroom models with no down payment, affordable monthly payments, and low fixed interest rates.

The eligibility criteria for this program include the following:

  • Each household must be able to dedicate at least 30 hours per week in labor/sweat equity towards building their own home. 
  • Each household must help other participating households within the development. Participants must possess a willingness to attend group meetings and to work cooperatively with other participants towards the common goal of homeownership and community. 
  • Income that falls at or below 80% of the Area Median Income for the area, (See specific income requirements below) and must also demonstrate repayment ability for monthly payments. The participant must have acceptable credit, and must plan to occupy the home as their primary residence.
  • The income limit is $47,900 for 1-4 person households and $63,250 for 5-8 person households. 

To add your name to the interest list or for further questions about the program, visit: http://bit.ly/2Hmiiax , email mmojica@chiphousing.org or call 530-891-6931 (Monday-Thursday from 8 am- 4:30 pm)

Home Matching/ Host Coordinating/Hotels

RV 4 Camp Fire Family- A Colorado-based nonprofit organization that connects donations of motorhomes, RVs, and trailers with families impacted by the Camp Fire in need of shelter. Families in need can complete an online form which details the particulars of their situation, and as motorhomes become available the group will link homes with appropriate families in need. Donated motorhomes/RVs/trailers must be in good working condition. It is requested that donors have a mechanic complete inspection and maintenance of their vehicle to ensure that it will be a home, not a burden to its new family. 

Motorhomes/RVs/trailers must also fit the following criteria:

  1. Holding tank must be emptied.
  2. Propane tanks must be full.
  3. Roof and window leaks must be repaired (not with a tarp).
  4. Tires replaced within the last 5 years and in good condition
  5. RV must have a new or working battery.

Additional eligibility criteria, and necessary documentation can be found online at: https://rv4campfirefamily.org/families. Family Intake Form: http://bit.ly/2Ge3U3x . This resource is officially an organization. As of 2019, RV4 Camp Fire Family has obtained their 501(C)3 nonprofit status. Please note, this organization is a Colorado based Nonprofit.

FEMA Temporary Housing Information- Information for FEMA applicants who have been contacted by FEMA regarding Manufactured Housing Units (MHUs) and FEMA Group SitesFederal, state, and local partners have collaborated to provide direct housing solutions, for up to 18 months, to individuals and families most severely impacted by the 2018 California wildfires. FEMA must be able to verify applicant’s identity, applicant’s necessary expenses and serious needs are directly caused by a declared disaster, proof of occupancy (renter) or ownership, and housing damage or loss must be verified by FEMA via onsite inspection. Once determined eligible for an MHU, a FEMA applicant will be contacted by FEMA to assess their interest in MHU assistance. To get information about FEMA Housing sites, including numbers of survivors assisted/housed, please visit: buttecountyrecovers.org/fema-group-site-information/

Explore Butte County- Local Hotel Availability Website- Look online for available hotel rooms in Butte County, view average price rates, and book stays at  Butte County Lodging: https://bit.ly/2TUQ7F2